Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Integral Coaching

Times of transition are exciting but difficult, and it's great if you have a companion along for the ride who can push you up the hills or pull you over the bumps. On that note, I met with my coach this week. Her name is Monique, and she's smart and funny and is interested in working with me. I got her through Integral Coaching, and she's in training to be a coach. We just spent the time yesterday getting to know each other a bit, and trying to nail down what it is I'm going to work on. We decided on "unraveling the spaghetti" as an initial theme.

Talking to her, I realized that I'm still bitter about the Carleton experience. I loved my job, and the students, and invested a lot of my creativity, intellect and energy into being the best I could be at teaching English and all that went with it. I thought I had found my calling, and that I would be like the women I worked with who had some rough times but who had stuck with it until they had enough seniority to say that they had a place, a purpose and a pension. If it had come in one fell blow, then it would have been over all at once. Done. Instead it was a plane that ran out of gas still coasting along the runway. It's hard to stay positive. And I still haven't found a new direction. And I'm frightened to commit again. 7 years of education and work came to nothing. That being said, it was a great experience and I wouldn't trade it for the world. So there you go.

No comments: